Thursday 2 July 2015

Spaghetti Squash Chicken Chow Mein



One of my lovely challengers, Terri shared a recipe and indicated how much she LOVED it so I thought I would give it a try. I LOVE chow mein and to have a healthier version than the local take-out order made sense to me! I took the recipe she used and adapted it to include my FAVE ingredients.  Again, another family favourite! When I made it, I cooked the spaghetti squash the evening prior and shredded it and then made the stir fry the next day!  It was easy peasy and quick to prepare!  10-15 mins to be exact having the squash pre-cooked!  Choose whichever works for you!

Ingredients

1 large spaghetti squash
2 chicken breasts (cooked and cubed)
1/4 c tamari (gluten free soy sauce found at the local Supermarket)  or you could use lite soy sauce
1 large clove red garlic minced ( or 3 cloves of reg. garlic, minced)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1.5 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/4 tsp white pepper (optional)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
1 large carrot grated (I used my Titan peeler - peeled them into matchsticks)
1/2 c. shredded cabbage (*optional)
1 small package of fresh sliced mushrooms, rinsed



Directions: 
Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Add about 1" of water to a pyrex or glass dish. Turn spaghetti squash face down (skin side up) in dish.  Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until flesh is very tender.  When done, let cool for a moment and scoop out flesh with a fork so it breaks apart into strings and set aside.  When I made it, I let it cool and then put it in the refrigerator over night.

In a small bowl, whisk together tamari, maple syrup, ginger and white pepper and set aside.

Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion, celery and cook until tender (about 3-4 mins). Be sure to stir often! Then add grated carrots and shredded cabbage and cook another minute before adding sliced mushrooms. Cook another minute longer until heated through.  Stir in spaghetti squash, cooked chicken and soy sauce mixture.  Mix it until well combined, and if you are using pre-cooked spaghetti squash make sure it is heated through before serving!

Serves 4-6 ----->21 Day Fix: 2 Green, 1/2 red per serving
Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment