Monday 11 January 2016

Swiss Oatmeal




I have been trying to be adventurous in trying some new recipes the last few weeks. I have invested in some new cookbooks and "Fixate", by Autumn Calabrese has been gracing my pantry shelf, barely opened!!

So in an effort to be prepared for church this week, I thought Swiss Oatmeal sounded like the perfect "new" recipe to have prepared in advance!  Was it a family favourite? Not sure about the boys, but I personally did like it.  With that said, I made WAY too much and couldn't finish it all. I feel like the recipe in the book could easily do 2 servings as opposed to 1 as it suggests.  Please give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free would be preferred. I didn't use gluten free)
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (divided use)
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (original recipe suggests 2% reduced fat yogurt)
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
1/4 medium banana, chopped
Slivered almonds (or 12 raw almonds, chopped)
Maple syrup or stevia (to taste; optional)

(***I feel like this recipe would serve 2 adults comfortably, but the cookbook states that this recipe serves 1. Use your judgement. :))

1.  Place oats, 1/2 cp almond milk, yogurt, extract, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; mix well and soak, covered, in the refrigerator overnight.

2.  In the morning, add remaining almond milk (1/4 cup) and mix well.

3.  Top with strawberries, chopped banana, slivered almonds and drizzle with maple syrup (if desired) over the top.

If you are following the 21 Day Fix Program, the container equivalents are:  (2) yellow, (1) purple,
(1) red and (1) blue.

No comments :

Post a Comment