Sunday 6 September 2015

Homemade Salsa



So funny enough, I get inspired sometimes to "use up" items in my fridge/pantry.  Usually each week I check out what I have from last week and incorporate it into the following week's meal prep. This week is were these gorgeous red onions that I bought at our local market last week.  So what better idea than to use them up in a fresh summer salsa?!

This is a recipe that I got a few years ago from our friend's Shawna & Terry Bergin. I have tried many recipes before but this one proves to be MY FAVE!  One of the main reasons besides the flavour, is simply because I don't have to peel the tomatoes before hand!  I got permission to share this recipe and we hope that you will enjoy it too!  This recipe is phenomenal and lends itself well to making it your own however you like it!

If you are wondering if this recipe is clean or not, you can be the judge.  I did make some modifications to the recipe based on some changes I have made in my own home. I used Pink Himalayan Salt instead of table salt. I also used raw sugar instead of the traditional white refined sugar.  I am certain that you could also try maple syrup or agave nectar too if you wanted.  Please enjoy!

Recipe Yields:  5x500ml jars (and around 1 cup left over which we just ate after the others were jarred)
Heat: Medium

Main ingredients:  
12 tomatoes
2 green pepper
3 c. celery
2 c. onions
1/3 cup of pink himalayan salt
* chop all vegetables and let set overnight and drain well in the morning.

Add:
1 1/2 c. raw sugar *optional (I used 3/4 c. of raw sugar)
1 1/2 c. white vinegar
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp crushed chilies
1 tsp mustard seed
*I also added 1 cup of frozen corn for a splash of colour!

Cook all above for 45 minutes in a large pot on the stove. Then add 1 large can of tomato paste and cook another 15 minutes.

Enjoy this recipe and I hope you have a wonderful September!

No comments :

Post a Comment